Thursday, January 26, 2012

Can a Hat Ban Be More about Exclusion than Intrusion?

Recently many Buckhead Bars have adopted a ‘no hat policy’.  Coming from a person who frequents these bars many weekends out of the year, this policy is a little upsetting.  Upsetting because it takes away one’s personal identity to dress as one pleases.  But as I began to dive deeper into this issue, I wondered is this rule more about keeping some out than than attempting to create a upscale nightlife?  Buckhead as many know is a place of wealth and prestige within the greater Atlanta area.  An area enriched with private schools and million dollar homes.  Because I attended one of these private schools I have been absorbed into a small part of the Buckhead community for some time; a community that is majority white and difficult to submerge oneself into as an outsider.   After I left Buckhead last week where I was forced to take my hat off in a few of the places I went.  I wondered could this be an attempt for owners to create a rule that will hamper one group from attempting to include itself with another?  In other words, was this rule created to try and covertly exclude minorities from frequenting Buckhead? 

Some may say I am being naïve or looking for something that is not there.  Others may say I have hit on a problem that has existed since overt classism and racism began to dissipate from society.  Whichever side you fall on, it seems strange as more bars are playing hip hop that they would attempt to possibly curtail its more urban customer base.  I pose this question to the masses, are Buckhead bars attempting to be more high class or is this rule attempting to covertly impede the traffic of minorities to Buckhead?

No comments:

Post a Comment